Ad

Tuesday 11 April 2017

Bible Prophecy Christ's Passion, Death & Ressurection



Old Testament Prophets Speak


ISAIAH Between 701-681 BC
ZACHARIAH Between 520 and 518 BC
DANIEL About 530 BC
PSALMS  About 1000 BC
JOB Between 1440-950 BC
AMOS  Around 750 or 749 BC
JONAH  786 - 749 BC
MICAH 786-700 BC
MOSES 1393-1273 BC



Deuteronomy 18:15 

The Lord your God will raise up for you 
a prophet like me from among your fellow Israelites, 
and you must listen to that prophet.


"Lamb of God"
Jesus Christ The Lamb of God


Jeremiah 11:19-20

I, like a trusting lamb led to the slaughter, had not realized that they were hatching plots against me: “Let us destroy the tree in its vigor; let us cut Him off from the land of the living, so that His name will be spoken no more.





Isaiah 53:7

Though harshly treated, he submitted
and did not open his mouth;
Like a lamb led to slaughter
or a sheep silent before shearers,

he did not open his mouth.







The Messiah would enter Jerusalem 
while riding on a donkey




Zachariah 9:9


 Exult greatly, O daughter Zion! Shout for joy, O daughter Jerusalem! Behold: Your king is coming to you, a just savior is he, humble, and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey.









Jesus was betrayed by a friend

Judas' Betrayal "You betray Your Master with a kiss."



Psalm 41:10 

Even my trusted friend,
who ate my bread,

has raised his heel against me.










Judas betrays Jesus
Psalm 55:13-15 

For it is not an enemy that reviled me—
that I could bear—
Not a foe who viewed me with contempt,
from that I could hide.

But it was you, my other self,
my comrade and friend,

You, whose company I enjoyed,
at whose side I walked
in the house of God.





Foreshadowing the betrayal of Jesus 
for 30 pieces of silver

30 Piece of Silver the Price of Betrayal
Zachariah 11:12-13

Then I said to them, “If it seems good to you, give me my wages; but if not, withhold them.” And they counted out my wages, thirty pieces of silver.


Then the LORD said to me, Throw it in the treasury—the handsome price at which they valued me. So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them into the treasury in the house of the LORD.




Jesus' Arrest at Garden of Gethsemane

Psalm 17:9-13

. . . from the wicked who despoil me.

My ravenous enemies press upon me;
they close their hearts,

they fill their mouths with proud roaring.
Their steps even now encircle me;

they watch closely, keeping low to the ground
Like lions eager for prey,

like a young lion lurking in ambush.





God's servant would be silent 
before His accusers

Jesus Accused and is Silent
 Isaiah 53:6-8

. . . But the LORD laid upon him
the guilt of us all.

Though harshly treated, he submitted
and did not open his mouth;

Like a lamb led to slaughter
or a sheep silent before shearers,
he did not open his mouth.


Seized and condemned, he was taken away.
Who would have thought any more of his destiny?
For he was cut off from the land of the living,

struck for the sins of his people.



The Messiah would be rejected



Isaiah 53:3

He was spurned and avoided by men,a man of suffering, knowing pain,

Like one from whom you turn your face, spurned, and we held him in no esteem.






Psalm 118:22-23

The stone the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone.
By the LORD has this been done;

it is wonderful in our eyes.







Jesus Beaten and Mocked


Isaiah 52:13-15

See, my servant shall prosper,
he shall be raised high and greatly exalted.

Even as many were amazed at him—
so marred were his features,
beyond that of mortals
his appearance, beyond that of human beings—


So shall he startle many nations,
kings shall stand speechless;
For those who have not been told shall see,

those who have not heard shall ponder it.



Christ is Mocked
Isaiah 50:4b-7

The Lord God opens my ear that I may hear;  And I have not rebelled, Have not turned back.
I gave my back to those who beat me, My cheeks to those who plucked my beard;
My face I did not shield from buffets and spitting.

The Lord God is my help,
Therefore I am not disgraced;



I have set my face like flint,
Knowing that I shall not be put to shame.




Psalm 22:7-8 

But I am a worm, not a man,
scorned by men, despised by the people.

All who see me mock me;
they curl their lips and jeer;
they shake their heads at me:
















Jesus Stripped of His Clothing



Micah 1:8 

For this I will lament and wail,
go barefoot and naked; . . .





1 Samuel 19:24 

Then he, too, stripped himself of his garments









God's servant would die for our sins

Isaiah 53:3-6

He was spurned and avoided 
by men,
a man of suffering, 
knowing pain,
Like one from whom you turn your face,
spurned, and we held 
him in no esteem.
Yet it was our pain that he bore,
our sufferings he endured.

We thought of him as stricken,
struck down by God* and afflicted,

But he was pierced for our sins,
crushed for our iniquity.
He bore the punishment that makes us whole,
by his wounds we were healed.

We had all gone astray like sheep,
all following our own way;
But the LORD laid upon him

the guilt of us all.


Foreshadowing the Crucifixion of Jesus

Christ's Crucifixion
Psalm 21  

[2] My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?
Why so far from my call for help,

from my cries of anguish?

[7] But I am a worm, not a man, scorned by men, despised by the people.


[9]“He relied on the LORD—let him deliver him;
if he loves him, let him rescue him.”

Crucifixion of Jesus Christ
[15] Like water my life drains away;
all my bones are disjointed.
My heart has become like wax,
it melts away within me.

[16] As dry as a potsherd is my throat;
my tongue cleaves to my palate;

you lay me in the dust of death.

[17] Dogs surround me;
a pack of evildoers closes in on me.
They have pierced my hands 
and my feet

[18] I can count all my bones.

They stare at me and gloat;











Psalm 69:21-22

Insult has broken my heart, and I despair;

I looked for compassion, but there was none,
for comforters, but found none.


Instead they gave me poison for my food;
and for my thirst they gave me vinegar.




Christ's Death -- Darkness at Noon

Amos 8:9

On that day—oracle of the Lord GOD—
I will make the sun set at midday
and in broad daylight cover the land with darkness.



Psalm 34:21

He watches over all his bones;
not one of them shall be broken.





Casting Lots for His Garments

Casting Lots for Christ's clothing


Psalm 22:18

they will divide His garments among them 
















God's servant would be 
"numbered with the transgressors"

Isaiah 53:11-12

11] Because his soul hath laboured, he shall see and be filled: by his knowledge shall this my just servant justify many, and he shall bear their iniquities. [12] Therefore will I distribute to him very many, and he shall divide the spoils of the strong, because he hath delivered his soul unto death, and was reputed with the wicked: and he hath borne the sins of many, and hath prayed for the transgressors.




Jesus' Side Pierced with the Spear

Christ Pierced by a Lance
Zachariah 12:10 

I will pour out on the house of David and on the inhabitants 
of Jerusalem a spirit of mercy and supplication, 
so that when they look on him 
whom they have thrust through,*
they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, 

and they will grieve for him as one grieves over a firstborn. 





God's servant would be buried 

Isaiah 53:9

He was given a grave among the wicked,
a burial place with evildoers,
Though he had done no wrong,

nor was deceit found in his mouth




Three Days in the Tomb


Jonah 2:1

But the LORD sent a great fish to swallow Jonah, and he remained in the belly of the fish three days and three nights three nights. 

The days in the belly of the whale foreshadows Jesus' death and rising on the third day.



Prophecy Christ's Resurrection

Christ's Resurrection










Psalm 16:10

For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,

nor let your devout one see the pit

 Psalm 30:4

LORD, you brought my soul up from Sheol;
you let me live, from going down to the pit

Psalm 41:11-12

But you, LORD, take note of me to raise me up
that I may repay them.”
By this I will know you are pleased with me,
that my enemy no longer shouts in triumph over me.


Noel-coypel-the-resurrection-of-christ-1700


Psalm 118:17-18

I shall not die but live
and declare the deeds of the LORD.

The LORD chastised me harshly,

but did not hand me over to death.

Hosea 6:2 

He will revive us after two days;
on the third day* he will raise us up,
to live in his presence.

Psalm 40:2-4


Surely, I wait for the LORD;
who bends down to me and hears my cry,

Draws me up from the pit of destruction,
out of the muddy clay,
Sets my feet upon rock,
steadies my steps,

And puts a new song in my mouth,
a hymn to our God.
Many shall look on in fear

and they shall trust in the LORD.


Psalm 68:21

Our God is a God who saves;

escape from death is the LORD God’s.



Job 19:25

As for me, I know that my vindicator lives,
and that he will at last stand forth upon the dust.


Isaiah 53:10

But it was the LORD’s will to crush him with pain.
By making his life as a reparation offering,
he shall see his offspring, shall lengthen his days,

and the LORD’s will shall be accomplished through him.


Christ's Ascension



Christ's Ascenstion

Hosea 6:2 

After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight

Psalms 68:2-5

May God arise;
may his enemies be scattered;
may those who hate him flee before him.a

As the smoke is dispersed, disperse them;
as wax is melted by fire,
so may the wicked perish before God.b

Then the just will be glad;
they will rejoice before God;
they will celebrate with great joy.


Sing to God, praise his name;
exalt the rider of the clouds.*
Rejoice before him

whose name is the LORD.


***"Who ascends upon the west: Super occasum. St. Gregory understands it of Christ, who after his going down, like the sun, in the west, by his passion and death, ascended more glorious, and carried all before him. St. Jerome renders it, who ascends or comes  up, through the deserts"


Psalm 68:19 

You went up to its lofty height;
you took captives, received slaves as tribute,

even rebels, for the LORD God to dwell.

No comments:

Post a Comment