Ad

Friday 4 March 2016

Veneration of the Thorn-Crowned Head of the Savior

Thorn-Crowned Head of the Savior

And platting a crown of thorns, they put it upon His Head.  They began to spit upon Him, and they gave Him blows.  Others smote His face and said: ‘Prophesy, who it is that struck Thee?’

O Holy Redeemer!  Thou art clothed with a scarlet cloak, a reed is placed in Thy hands for a sceptre, and the sharp points of a thorny crown are pressed into Thy adorable head.

My soul, thou canst never conceive the sufferings, the insults and indignities offered to our Blessed Lord during this scene of pain and mockery.

I therefore salute Thee and offer Thee supreme homage as King of heaven and earth, the Redeemer of the world, the Eternal Son of the living God.

O my afflicted Savior!  O King of the world, Thou art ridiculed as a mock king.  I believe in Thee and adore Thee as the King of kings and the Lord of lords, as the supreme Ruler of heaven and earth.

O Jesus! I devoutly venerate Thy sacred head pierced with thorns, struck with a reed, over-whelmed  with pain and derision.

I adore the Precious Blood flowing from Thy bleeding wounds.  To Thee be all praise, all thanksgiving and all love forevermore.

O meek Lamb, Victim for sin! May Thy thorns penetrate my heart with fervent love, that I may never cease to adore Thee as my God, my King and my Savior.

Behold, O God, our Protector,

And look upon the face of Thy Christ.

Let us pray: 

O my beloved Savior, at sight of Thy most holy face disfigured by suffering, at sight of Thy Sacred Heart so full of love, I cry out with St. Augustine:  “Lord Jesus, imprint on my heart Thy sacred wounds, so that I may read therein sorrow and love:  sorrow, to endure every for Thee; love, to despise every love for Thee.”

Amen.

We adore Thee, O Christ, and we bless Thee, because by Thy holy Cross Thou hast redeemed the world.



Taken from the book – Hour of Reparation, copyright 1945

No comments:

Post a Comment